Monday 20 October 2008

pet insurance

One of the hot topics over on our forum HerpUniverse is pet insurance for reptiles, and how to find a good provider. There's lots of companies that offer insurance for dogs,cats rabbits etc but finding a good provider for reptiles and exotic pets seems to be difficult. I still haven't managed to find one that is reasonably priced, and it leads onto another subject, good reptile vets to take your pet to when god forbid, the worst happens and a reptile becomes ill. For me, i guess i am very lucky in the fact that good friends of mine are, experts in reptile medicine so they are usually my first point of call. If a snake of mine does need vet treatment, again i am lucky in that a very good, reputable, reptile vet is only a 20 minute drive away. But with treatment so expensive finding good insurance would be wise.
on a lighter note, this post on HerpUniverse made me chuckle:
To weigh a snake:

Find large digital kitchen scales
Place bowl on top of scales
Place pillowcase in bowl
Set scales to zero
Remove snake from viv
Put snake in pillowcase
Retrieve snake from round leg and replace snake in pillowcase
Retrieve snake from hair, put band aid on bite and replace snake in pillowcase
Hurl self across room in order to catch snake
Place snake in pillowcase
Put pillowcase (with snake) in bowl on top of kitchen scales
Retrieve pillowcase from floor and snake from under wardrobe
Put snake and pillowcase in bowl, hold still for a few seconds
Take weight reading
Lose pencil
Find pencil
Retrieve snake from top of bookshelf and pillowcase from inside laundry basket
Write down weight with one hand while restraining angry snake with the other
Replace snake in viv
Treat your wounds
Prepare self for an evening of being glared at.

That's how to weigh a snake.

anyone who has ever tried to weigh a snake will I'm sure understand.

I would also like to say a big hello to all my friends over at Forum Finder if you have a blog,forum, or website FF has some great resources tips,tricks and lots of fun, its well worth joining and a great community to be a part of.
Bye for now, have a great week everyone,
H xx

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG! That is hilarious! You never know when you might need this information!

veinglory said...

Pet insurance is still a bit hit and missa in the 'being worth it' stakes. I looked at all the options and opened a savings account instead. I hit my goal of $5000 last year (after finally getting a decent job. I figure that plus a credit cards covers more than most pet insurance will.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I can relate. I had a pet garter snake when I was younger named Cobra of all things.

As far as pet insurance, something like care credit is awesome for major and unexpected surgeries but the plans for routine stuff sometimes come up short i find.

Anonymous said...

haha...that how to weigh a snake is hilarious.

Anonymous said...

That is a big procedure (weighing a snake), especially for a small snake... :)

Good luck with the insurance!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if you'd need pet insurance for a snake, since most of their diseases (particularly the more common ones) are managable with good husbandry. Perhap's it's different in thw USA.

capybara said...

Love the "How to weigh a snake" piece. Reminds me of how to give a pill to a Cat! LOL

Owen Cutajar said...

Slippery things snakes huh?

Anonymous said...

Ha! the weigh story was a good laugh! I've never been able to get pet insurance for my animals that made sense. But then again I have 6 animals- it can get costly!

Anonymous said...

LOL! it's worth reading twice over just to imagine the scenario. loved the getting stared at part too, haha.

Anonymous said...

Heh, heh! Great description - I can picture it all happening... and then to be glared at all evening - very funny :)

Anonymous said...

I used to sell pet insurance to companies for their employees about ten years ago. Still don't have it for my own pet.

Sadie said...

lol - I love your instructions on how to weigh a snake! I used to date a guy who had a snake so I understand completely.

sofwarewiki said...

pet insurance...I cant even think about it....I had been to a country where even human dont have insurance...so can imagine..but gud to know there is something like this existing....

Anonymous said...

truer words have ne'r been written when it comes to trying to get a snake to lie still, the only way I have found is to try and weigh them after feeding!

Anonymous said...

Now you know why I don't weigh snakes... I just can't deal with the glaring looks!

Anonymous said...

Oh HAHAHAHA! I better print this out for future reference ;)

Anonymous said...

Funny, the directions for weighing a snake and washing a cat are very similar. There will be Band-Aids involved.

Anonymous said...

My husband keeps saying that we should investigate pet insurance for our dog, and after last week's $175 emergency vet visit, I think he might be right.

Anonymous said...

This did remind me of many of the "how to" bathe a cat, wrap a present with a cat around, fold laundry, etc. emails that have gone around :)

Did you know that in certain states pet insurance is offered as part of the package for employees?

Samantha & Mom said...

Thanks for the information on Pet insurance!!Mom has been checking on it!
Your FL furiends,

 
ss_blog_claim=57f49a8c33266a6e6eae56d042525dc9 ss_blog_claim=57f49a8c33266a6e6eae56d042525dc9