Wednesday 15 October 2008

Hatchling's


They say good things come to those who wait, well here's one of our tiny anery corn snake hatching's. They arrived in the world a week later than expected but we have four beautiful tiny baby's.Right now they are no bigger than a worm, one is a little bit feisty and tried his best to nibble my finger ( which tickled like mad!!!) the others are very very docile and calm.
It was a big shock to me, with most of our snakes being either adult size or there abouts, i had forgotten how tiny hatching's are, they are growing well and I'm trying very hard not to say OK we will keep them all.
There's still a couple of reptile meetings left on the calender this year, but here in the UK it is getting very cold and they are all quite a distance away so we have decided not to attend anymore for this year(4 hours in a cold car in awful weather does not appeal to me)
I like attending the shows, to see who is breeding what, catch a glimpse of herps you wouldn't normally get to see, and of course catch up with friends for a coffee and a chatter, and we usually come home with a new addition too!!!!!!!
H

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

It kind of "jumped out" at me that the baby snakes also have their own, unique personalities from the moment they hatch... amazing! :)

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to watch them 'hatch'! Not that I particularly like snakes, but birth is amazing no matter what the creature :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the new additions....

Anonymous said...

That is amazing how small they are. Very interesting. I'm like you. Once it turns winter I prefer to stay close to home. That is unless we are going somewhere warm on a vacation.

veinglory said...

How many do you have?

veinglory said...

...in total, I mean.

Anonymous said...

this is way easier to handle than the spiders pics. and congrats!

Hellan said...

In total i have 24 corn snakes and 2 pythons, we had 4 babies hatch out which is a pretty low amount but it was the moms first time so she only had a small clutch of eggs

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new additions, although not a fan of the snakes.

Anonymous said...

i'm not a fan of snakes either, but i definitely like them better than the spiders. i didn't know you have so many!

capybara said...

I love the patterns on those snakes. We recently saw a Dice snake in Crete lurking in a stream. Good luck with the new additions.

Anonymous said...

I've never seen baby snakes before and would not have thought they were so tiny!

Anonymous said...

Finally, a picture that doesn't make me cringe! :) I like snakes but I too learned today how small they are when they hatch. I just never thought out it.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new additions. I think the baby snake in the picture is so cute.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the new babies!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new arrivals.

Anonymous said...

That's just amazing. I think it's really cute.

Anonymous said...

Having any sort of baby animal around is always a joy- particularly when ther are lots of them.

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize that the babies would be so small either. How many were born? Are they all from one snake? What are they called, (like a litter)?

Hellan said...

The female laid 9 eggs which is a pretty small clutch but it was her first time.A couple hatched too soon and didn't make it, 3 were infertile eggs and we ended up with 4 babies. The "litter" is called a clutch.Thanks for the comments

Anonymous said...

It's amazing to me the "odd" hobbies many have... between spiders and snakes, I'd take the snakes any day - as long as they are harmless :)

Anonymous said...

i can safely say that these are beautiful little snakes as last weekend Hellan and her partnerwent out of their way to deliver one of them to me , a stunning little snake i have named HUMBUG ,,, THANKS H you are a gem xxx

Anonymous said...

This blog definitely is very original!!! Never seen one that has personal picts of snakes.

 
ss_blog_claim=57f49a8c33266a6e6eae56d042525dc9 ss_blog_claim=57f49a8c33266a6e6eae56d042525dc9