Wednesday 24 September 2008

Big snakes.

I was talking with a friend recently, who does a lot of work for animal welfare and reptile rescue. We got to talking about big snakes, Burmese pythons and the like, during the conversation some very interesting points were made, which i thought i would share.
He gets almost daily phone calls from people begging him to take in their unwanted large snakes, and he has to turn them away as he already has too many. Zoo's are finding it increasingly harder to take in large snake species now as they are getting full of them too.
People go to the local pet shop and coo over the "cute little baby burm" don't do their research properly or are mis- informed by the pet shop who after all is after a sale and bring home little baby, then 12 months-2 years down the line, the cute little baby is a huge and still growing rather large baby and that's when the problems start, and my friends phone starts ringing.
So who's is at fault? the pet shops for stocking these snakes and selling them to anyone with the right money??? The irresponsible owners who take on such a snake without doing their research? or a mixture of the two? and what can be done to stop the problem becoming ever worse?
There are many great owners out there who own large snakes, keep them in the proper enclosures or have dedicated rooms for them so they get enough room to move and exercise and these people should be praised, but for those who think its OK to keep a large snake species in a one bed roomed flat, because its "cool" or whatever reasons you had for buying the snake, please think twice and i hope you find someone like my friend who is willing to take them in when the time comes.
Maybe it's time new legislation was introduced, or for the d.w.a licence to be amended to include larger snakes, to ensure people know what they are taking on and shops cant sell them to just anybody.
thanks to:
http://linkbacklink.blogspot.com/

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't like spiders and snakes.

Aahz at Philaahzophy.com said...

Okay, this isn't really related to your post, but I'm guessing you'll know the answer.

Today my daughter asked if she could get salmonella from a corn snake. I told her I had no idea, but knew some one who would. So, any input?

Anonymous said...

It would be wise for pet shops to inform owners of the mature size of any animal they buy, but most don't. This is especially common in the fish world where people are told that the fish will grow to the size of its tank. Perhaps they're being told the same lies about snakes?

Hellan said...

aahz, corns do carry the salmonella bacteria, and cross contamination can happen, but if your daughter washes her hands after handling any snake this will minimise the risk. I have been keeping corns for over 15 years and never caught anything from them.Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

Snakes are very interesting creatures. Kinda creepy to me though.

Anonymous said...

Seems as though I've been here before and I still don't like snakes...but I'll work on it.

Reminds me of the day I was in the reptile house at the zoo. Got there just at feeding time for the python. I could not, for the life of me, figure out which one to root for: the python or the rat. Both of them give me the willies. :)

Owen Cutajar said...

It's almost like a situation out of a comedy, but it can't be funny being the one stuck with a huge snake!

Anonymous said...

That would be great if they didn't allow just anyone to buy a large snake. I wish that there wre more responsible shop owners and more responsible pet owners that did the proper research before owning any animal.

Anonymous said...

i wouldn't feel safe sleeping if there's a big snake in the next room.

Anonymous said...

Brad is singing one of my favorite songs from the "old" days. LOL!

Anonymous said...

I think the responsibiltiy lies with both. It is up to the person contemplating the snake to research, but it also up to the person offering the snake to protect the welfare of the animal and not allowing them to go unless they really check the person out. When people are told how long a snake will get, even if it will get huge, people still don't think figuring it will be years before it will be full grown.

I saw someone once have a sign with big letters right on the glass to scare people off. "Do you have room for a grand piano? Then you don't have room for the size cage I need when I grow up"

I also think breeders should really do some soul searching. If there are so many snakes needing rescue that zoos have to turn them away and people are letting boas loose in the everglades, wouldn't it be time to think twice before breeding. Or letting someone have a snake without really getting to know them?

veinglory said...

he same problems occur with iguanas, primates, even exotic cats, heck--even big dogs. I am not sure there is an answer except perhaps a mandated cooling off period or licensing procedure to prevent ill-inofrmed ompulse pet purchases.

Anonymous said...

i hate, hate, hate snakes! they make me very uncomfortable.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I feel so bad for the animal that has to suffer for the stupidity of people.

Anonymous said...

Do you go buy a car before researching it? Do you buy a house without learning about it? Why get a pet without doing your homework? I wouldn't get a dog without learning about the breed. Heck, I researched the feathers out of chickens before I decide the breed I would get. I knew what to expect. (for the most part)

Windyridge said...

My neighbors had a snake and we watched them feed a mouse to it. It was interesting to say the least.
Around here we have milk and garter snakes.

Samantha & Mom said...

I believe they should tell you the size that the snake will get when you by it! At least then you can make a decision to get it or not!
Your FL furiends,

Anonymous said...

You won't have to worry about me ending up with a snake that I need to give up because I no like snakes!

Anonymous said...

I think the blame is with both the pet shop owners (who really don't give you the right info) and the people who buy them eithout researching them.

Anonymous said...

in some country snake is a delicacy. in some country, snakes or people's best friend. in sound country, snakes are just snakes running wile.

sometimes i think it is wrong to have snakes as pets....but some people may disagree with me...

Unknown said...

Spiders don't really bother me, except when they are in the shower with me....lol, now snakes are another story all together.

 
ss_blog_claim=57f49a8c33266a6e6eae56d042525dc9 ss_blog_claim=57f49a8c33266a6e6eae56d042525dc9